Barton & Tredworth
Neighbourhood Partnership

Pride in the community

B&T Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > 'Arrest' at the AGM

Webmaster
Site Owner

Since the clip was deleted from Youtube (because 'someone' complained?), it's worth seeing if I can put it here instead...

Any more complaints, people know how to contact me.

April 27, 2012 at 9:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Joe K

What people, and certainly the police, weren't aware of, is that I was recording the meeting on audio, so as to preserve an accurate account of what took place. As well as proving that a police officer, Matt Puttock, actually threatened me with arrest for the 'theft' of a piece of paper I picked up to read, this happened a few minutes into my journey to the custody suite, with hands cuffed too tightly behind me and no seatbelt:

Van stops (so that they can do their 'paperwork'), Phil Hopkins then opens the back door and says, 'Listen to me now. Right, I originally nicked you for Public Section Order Five, 'kay? I'm de-arresting you from that, and now arresting you for being in Breach of the Peace, okay? You do not have to say anything, but may harm your defence if you do not mention when questioned something which (you?) later rely on in court.'

That last part is a garbled version of the actual reading of rights. I've done my best to recreate it, as Hopkins rushed through it. It couldn't have impressed his bosses when they listened to the recording, regardless of whether it's actually legal to change the arrest charges on the way to the station.

It's far too late to bring any of this up in an official complaint, but I'd like to put it on record for the benefit of others who might suffer the tender mercies of our local coppers, and especially anyone who encounters Sgt Phil Hopkins (2142), if he's still employed by Gloucestershire Constabulary, or any other force.

'Right then, Joe ['That's Mr Kilker to you'] (indistinct response). Like we said, earlier on, right, I'm not gonna piss about with him (sic), you've had your warnings, right, I've been fair up to now, don't piss me about, cause you're gonna get 'urt ['I'm gonna get hurt?'] Yeah, you are, alright? So don't piss me about, out you come (garbled) ['I'm not gonna piss you about'] Out you go, come on then ['I'm *not* gonna piss you about']  Come on then, there's a good lad ['I'd like *not* to be hurt any more'] You be a good lad, then, and it'll be fine, won't it, out of the door, please?  

https://trollhunterx.wordpress.com/category/police/

--

"Hennimore!!"

March 27, 2017 at 6:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Joe K

This is a re-recording of the audio file in which Phil Hopkins 'de-arrests' me, then 're-arrests' me. Whether a person can be arrested for 'breach of the peace' when he is no longer anywhere near the place the officer is now implying that breach took place, is open to debate. I guess that the three officers involved decided that nothing I had allegedly done up to the point of the original arrest warranted that arrest, so they instead plumped for my resisting being handcuffed, and loud objections to being then forced to the concrete floor and having my head banged against that floor by Hopkins several times, as their 'breach'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPxNQnU-QvM

--

"Hennimore!!"

March 30, 2017 at 6:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Joe K

I'm not going to keep transcribing this, as uploading it toYoutube makes it easier to review, but mars the quality slightly. What happens below starts about a third of the way into the recording. Note that PC Damien Lea is present throughout, but when I complained, without telling the police that I had still been recording, he evidently said not a word about Hopkins' behaviour to his superiors. I expect that's why I haven't seen him around since.

'If you weren't such a cock, you would've walked out, if you'd been a good lad, OK? But you didn't, you played up, and you played the big boy game, it didn't work, OK? [I was just sitting there, and now I have a cut on my wrist] That's why you're here now, alright, that's why you're here now. [It's all my fault?] Yeah, that's right, that's fine. How many times were you asked to leave those premises, how many times? Four, five times before I even turned up, you were asked to leave [They asked, and I declined] That's right! [Then you turned up] That's right [You weren't needed, but you turned up] And was nicked then for Breach of the Peace. OK? Simple [Just by sitting there, I was breaching the peace?] No [garbled) causing all sorts of problems then. Being abusive, being obstructive, you're here for those reasons. OK?

'I suggest you think twice next time you're in a meeting, and be careful what you say to people' [What I say to people?] Yeah. [I didn't say anything, I picked up a document...] Take account for your actions, alright? [Yeah, we should *all* do that, shouldn't we?] Exactly!

'I asked you on two occasion to vacate and leave. You didn't. You decided... ['Asked'. Key word, 'asked'. I declined'] That's right! (garbled) Breach of the Peace, I'm gonna take you in, therefore I arrested you for Breach of the Peace. What's the time? (garbled) [*Was* it Breach of the Peace?] Now it is. [Or is that what it is *now*? What did you arrest me for originally?] (garbled) Section 5. [Section 5. I must look that up when I get home.] You do so (garbled) 2142.

https://youtu.be/yz3jw7wIcXQ

--

"Hennimore!!"

March 31, 2017 at 8:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Joe K

There's two more things I always meant to point out about this event, and particularly so, now I've just posted a link to it.

The first is that I originally took my mobile phone out, while the AGM was suspended, to take a picture of the document, ripped in two as a result of PC Damien Lea trying to forcibly take it from me. As I stood up to take the pic, though, all three officers present, who had been speaking to members of the committee, suddenly made a beeline for me. My first thought was that they thought I was going to start recording, and that seemed like a very good idea, so I switched modes, though unfortunately, it turned out that I only had less than a minute of recording time left.

The second thing is that while it might look as if I was resisting my arrest as I am hauled up off my chair, which I'd returned to, that impression is given by the way the hand, and arm, holding the phone were grabbed. As the memory runs out, the officer, I was never sure which one, bends the phone out of my grip to the extent that the case cracks. They claimed afterwards that they were worried I might hurt myself with the phone, but I had said from the start of the confrontation that I would leave, but that they would have to arrest me first. I believed that, with the audio recording, that arrest would be proved to be illegal. To my everlasting regret, I objected to the hancuffs they then tried to put on me, when if I'd have just let that happen as well, it would have made these actions look even more indefensible.

But live and learn, people. If the police behave like thugs, don't resist, or even object, as long as their actions are caught on film.   

--

"Hennimore!!"

May 12, 2017 at 11:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.